• Question: What sort of qualifications do you need to become involved in a science based career?

    Asked by Katie❤️ to Huw, Gosha, Ray, Stacey, Steve on 16 Mar 2015.
    • Photo: Steve Cox

      Steve Cox answered on 16 Mar 2015:

      Maths, Physics and Chemistry are the usual qualifications that you’d need.

      Things like English are still very important though because as a scientist, or engineer, you have to be able to communicate clearly and document what you do for the benefit of others.

      Some of the worst scientific and engineering disasters have come about because of bad communication – so do make sure you keep up with that side of your studies too.

    • Photo: Huw Williams

      Huw Williams answered on 16 Mar 2015:

      Great answer from Steve here,

      I would also add that a Technology subject like DT or IT can also be very helpful to learn useful things about materials or programming which is used by a lot of Engineers and Scientists now.


    • Photo: Stacey Cutten

      Stacey Cutten answered on 17 Mar 2015:

      I depends what science based career you’re interested in really. Obviously you have the three main sciences (Chemistry, Biology and Physics)… You’d have to choose which of these is most appropriate compared to the career you’re thinking. Maths also ties in with pretty much any science-based career 🙂 Most science-based careers would expect you to go to university to study – but there are some apprenticeships out there that can put you through university!

      Sorry for taking ages to reply to you – I’ve been a busy bee 😀

    • Photo: Gosha Barzowska

      Gosha Barzowska answered on 17 Mar 2015:

      Great answer guys!
      I think it is important to learn about potential career prospects. For mechanical, aerospace engineering you will need Maths, Physics and English – typical jobs are those that Huw, Ray and myself are doing. It is also usefull to do DT – to show the cxreative side of your to potential employers. 🙂